Sunday, November 11, 2007

Book Group

I just finished reading "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy for our staff book group. It's a post-apocalyptic account of the journey of a Father and Son (we never know their names) south, in hope of finding any other 'good guys' who may have survived. It was hard to read at first, not for content, but because I've become used to editing everything I read--that's part of my job as a teacher. McCarthy uses unconventional sentence structure and puncutation (no apostrophe when an 'o' is the contraction) and doesn't divide the book into chapters. Once I got over that, I marveled at his amazing use of language. Reading the book was almost as physical as eating, and I wanted to stop and savor phrases and passages. It was depressing, of course, unless you like the idea of the human race approaching extinction, but the writing was incredibly rich. I'm looking forward to hearing what our leader has to say about the novel on Tuesday. Meanwhile, it's stuck fast in my head, and I'm trying to make sense of what McCarthy is saying to me.

2 comments:

Spirit Bear said...

It's funny that I've read this book also! actually listened to the author read it on tape - phenomenal. I have been trying to get everyone I know to read this book because I think it is important. It changed me, because it broke the little bubble we all live in and made me grateful just to be alive. It made me want to do something so this would never happen, but I don't know what.

It was so hard to listen to, but so well written. It was Oprah's book also, and she had an interview with the author on her website. It was extremely disappointing, because he refused to analyze it. He married at a more advanced age and had a young son when he wrote this. I wish I could listen in when you discuss this! I hope we never find ourselves on this road.
I am currently listening to a biography of Thomas Paine.

Spirit Bear said...

I still need to discuss this book with you! Let's make an appt.